Thursday 29 September 2011

Chana Masala


It's funny how taste buds change.  Back in my vegan teenager days I hated chickpeas.  Actually I hated all beans which made it very hard to get my complete proteins.  I used to force them down my throat because I knew they were healthy but I hated every minute of it!  Now, not only do I not mind black beans and kidney beans but I am also completely in love with chickpeas!  One of my favourite vegan dishes to make is Chana Masala because it's quick, easy and cheap!

Here is the recipe I follow (I believe I got it off the world wide web somewhere and modified it a little bit!):

Ingredients:
  • 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed (I use the largest can I can buy)
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, diced
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • juice from one lemon
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp garam masala (I use a spice just called Indian Spices)
  • 1 large bunch of spinach or two handfuls, rinsed
  • vegetable broth (to taste)
  • 2 tbsp ground flax seeds

Preparation:

In a large skillet or frying pan, sautee onions and garlic in olive oil until soft, about 3-5 minutes.


Add chickpeas, spices and lemon juice, cover, and simmer about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding 2 tbsp of vegetable broth at a time if needed, until chickpeas are cooked and soft.

Reduce heat, add spinach and cover. Allow spinach to wilt for about 5 minutes.  Stir in the ground flax (I try to put ground flax in all of my cooking to get my Omega 3's.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment